AfghanistanFeaturedNewsWorld

Trump Rejects Afghan Peace Talks

WASHINGTON: President of the United States Donald Trump has rejected the expected peace talks with Afghan Taliban following a deadly attack in Kabul that killed over hundred people last Saturday.

The move negates his own policy for Afghanistan announced last year.

Trump, before his meeting with United Nations officials on Monday, said he doesn’t see “any talking taking place.”

“I don’t think we’re prepared to talk right now. It’s a whole different fight over there. They’re killing people left and right. Innocent people are being killed left and right.”

According to the US media, the President is now weighing his options of increasing the presence of his troops in the region to tackle the new wave of insurgency in Afghanistan.

These troops are part of the 1st Security Force Assistance Brigade (SFAB). The unit consists of roughly a 1,000 soldiers.

The SFAB are specially trained to “advise and assist” foreign armies to fight insurgencies, the US media reports claim.

The Commander of SFAB, Colonel Scott Jackson said his men were still under training in the woods of Louisiana. The training period has been cut short by six months to deploy them in Afghanistan.

“Whenever you accelerate something, you reduce the quality. “That’s a strike against it right there,” he added.

Reports in the US media claimed that recent terrorist surge in terrorist activities in Afghanistan has forced the Trump administration to “significantly shorten” the training period of these forces.

Tags

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *