LAHORE: Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is considering Malaysia as a venue for two of its important home series against New Zealand and Australia.
Pakistan is to host both teams this year in October, November.
The board has been hosting its home series in UAE ever since international cricket was banned in Pakistan after the sad incident of attack on Sri Lankan team in Lahore back in 2009.
However, with the increased number of t20 leagues, it seems impossible this time.
Sharjah scheduled to host a new Arabian Cricket League every year in January, just before the Pakistan Super League (PSL), which is scheduled in February.
Besides, the new Afghan T20 League is also announced this year and will be played primarily in Sharjah. The league will collide with Pakistan’s schedule against Australia and New Zealand. Those two series, in October and November, include five Tests, at least five ODIs, and a few T20Is.
PCB is, therefore, mulling its possible options to host the upcoming series, and Malaysia is one of the convenient ones since it is closer and has a good number of Pakistanis there.
PCB chief Najam Sethi told ESPN Cricinfo that, “We have been informed by the ECB that they wish to host the Afghan Super League and also the Arabian Cricket League,”
Sethi added that “The Afghan League is tentatively scheduled by them at a time when our Australia and New Zealand series [will be] taking place in the UAE and they are denying the Sharjah facility to us because of the Afghan League. So that’s a problem for us.
“Secondly, they want to hold the Arabian League in the month of January every year, whereas our [Pakistan] Super League is scheduled for February, so this will come before us and precipitously close to us, which will create difficulty for us, especially if they want our players to participate in both the leagues.
“Therefore, I am going to Malaysia to explore the prospects for at least shifting our Australia and New Zealand series if they insist on denying the Sharjah facility to us during the Afghan League. Nothing is certain right now. I am going to look at all the options and try and persuade them to shift their dates if possible so that there is no conflict.”