NEW DELHI: Board for Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) has withheld fast bowler Mohammad Shami’s contract after he was accused of torture and threats by his wife.
According to ESPNCricinfo, Shami was supposed to be awarded a Grade B contract, with USD 460,000 approx, but the BCCI opted to wait for police proceedings.
Cricinfo quoted BCCI official Vinod Rai saying as the board is in a fix over including Shami’s name in the contract list. “We are in a bit of Catch 22,” he said. “Ordinarily you would distinguish and say that [the allegation] is a personal issue and the contract is a professional issue. But someone could easily point out and say this allegation is an unsavoury one and you are still rewarding him [Shami].”
Earlier on Wednesday, Shami’s wife Hasin Jahan filed a complaint with Kolkata police accusing Shami of domestic violence and adultery.
“He has affairs with multiple women. Many are from other parts of India while some are residents of Pakistan and countries in Europe. He used to spend time with them in different hotels while on tour. He used to chat with them using video apps.”
“Shami is neither concerned about me nor our baby. He tortured me physically and mentally over and over again. He asked me to accept what he was doing and threatened me with dire consequences if I ever broke my silence.
“I somehow managed to access the security code on his phone and saw the chats last night. It was almost 11 PM. I was shocked and could not sleep,” said Jahan.
She alleged that Shami assaulted her after returning from the South Africa tour.
“The dirty chats that I have posted on my Facebook wall is practically nothing in comparison to what Shami had done with these women,” she alleged.
Shami denied the allegations in a Facebook post. “What is being said about my personal life is completely false. It’s definitely a part of a big conspiracy against me. This is just an attempt to defame me,” said his post.
Shami was not available to comment when contacted.