Two Afghan generals and five other army officers have been fired and charged with negligence in connection with last week’s deadly assault on a military academy in which 11 soldiers were killed, the Afghan defence ministry said on Wednesday.
According to media reports, Afghan defence ministry spokesman Daulat Waziri said that the seven officers will be tried in a military court.
A militant group ISIS’ affiliate claimed the January 29 attack in Kabul, which also wounded 16 soldiers.
A suicide bomber struck the military unit guarding the academy, which set off a gunbattle. Two attackers were killed in the fighting, two blew themselves up and one was arrested.
Separately, Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish said five civilians have been arrested in connection with a January 21 assault on the Intercontinental Hotel, which killed 44 people, including several foreigners, and a January 27 suicide bombing that killed 103 people.
The suicide bombing occurred in an area known as the Green Zone, which signposts proclaim is protected by “a ring of steel.” The explosives were concealed in an ambulance which was able to slip past a security checkpoint.