100 Days of Crippling Lockdown in Indian Occupied Kashmir

Curfew, military lockdown and restrictions continue on 100th consecutive day today in Indian Occupied Kashmir (IoK) following the August 5 Indian illegal decision to abrogate special status of Kashmir.

According to Kashmir Media Service, restrictions under Section 144 and ban on prepaid phone, SMS and internet services remain enforced.

As a mark of silent protest, people in the Valley continue to keep their shops closed except for a brief period in the morning and evening and stay away from schools and offices. Public transport is also unavailable.

Due to clampdown, the hospitals continue to face shortage of life-saving drugs in the occupied territory. Reports said that life-saving drugs for diabetes, heart and cancer patients are short in the Kashmir Valley. Medical Superintendent of SMHS Hospital, Srinagar, told media that they didn’t have any budget to procure medicines.

Bunkers and barricades were erected overnight in schools and colleges as troops occupied educational institutions across the valley. While the government announced their opening, parents said they were apprehensive about sending their children to schools amid the clampdown.

There has been an unprecedented use of pellet guns by the Indian forces to curb protests in the Kashmir valley. Pellets fired upon unarmed protesters cause severe injuries and even blindness. Scores of people, including young boys and children, have been injured since August 5.

Tamil Nadu’s main opposition party, the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam, through a resolution adopted at its general council meet in Chennai, slammed the Indian government for turning IOK into a huge prison, and asked New Delhi to respect the sensitivities of the people of the territory. The DMK condemned New Delhi for its 5th August’s action.

Last week, ASEAN Delegation on Kashmir led by the Malaysian Consultative Council of Islamic Organization had expressed concern over the human rights situation in occupied Kashmir.

During a visit to the  Foreig Office, the delegation affirmed support for the rights of the besieged Kashmiris and a just and lasting solution of the Kashmir dispute.

They also underlined their commitment to continue efforts to raise awareness about the Kashmir situation in the ASEAN region.

The Foreign Secretary had also briefed the delegation in detail on the deteriorating human rights and humanitarian situation in occupied Kashmir due to inhuman lockdown since 5 August.

On 11th Nov,  Indian troops in their fresh act of state terrorism, martyred one more Kashmiri youth in Bandipore district raising the toll to two in the past twenty-four hours during curfew.

The youth was killed during a cordon and search operation in Lawdoora area of the district. Earlier, the troops had killed one youth in the same area, last night. The operation was going on till the reports last came in.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *