AfricaNewsUncategorized

Burkina Faso: 37 Killed in Attack on Canadian Mining Convoy

At least 37 people have been killed and 60 wounded in an attack on a mining company convoy in Burkina Faso, authorities say.

Five buses carrying staff of Canadian firm Semafo were ambushed on Wednesday about 40km (24 miles) from the eastern town of Boungou, reports say.

A military escort vehicle was reportedly struck by an explosive device before gunmen opened fire.

Death toll does not include an unknown number of the security forces who may have been killed in the attack. The toll was likely to rise as there are a large number of people still unaccounted for, according to a security source.

Two security sources said the military vehicle leading the convoy was struck by an IED on a stretch of road where there is no cellphone network.

Shortly after the initial explosion, an unknown number of gunmen opened fire. One of the sources said it appeared that they targeted the buses as well as the military escort, which was unusual.

Semafo ramped up its security last year after attacks near its two mines in the country.

The latest attack happened on a road between Fada and its mine in Boungou, the company said.

The company said its operations had not been affected and offered condolences to the families of the victims, none of whom have been named.

The West African country has been wracked by an insurgency that has killed hundreds of people in recent years.

The military has struggled to contain violence that spilled over the border from neighbouring Mali.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *