An anti-terrorism court in Dhaka, Country’s capitol, has sentenced seven people to death in connection with a 2016 deadly siege of a popular cafe in the Bangladeshi capital.
Twenty-two people were killed after gunmen stormed the upmarket Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka’s Gulshan area on July 1, 2016, in an attack that drew global condemnation. The victims included 17 foreigners.
The attack on the Holey Artisan cafe in Dhaka was carried out by a group of five men, who took diners hostage. The 12-hour siege was Bangladesh’s deadliest terrorist attack. Most of the victims were Italian or Japanese.
The attack was claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group, but Bangladesh disputed this, instead holding a local militant group responsible.
Eight people were on trial, accused of planning and supplying the attackers with weapons. One man was acquitted.
Public prosecutor Golam Sarwar Khan, speaking after the verdict was delivered, said the charges against the accused “were proved beyond any doubt”.
“The court gave them the highest punishment,” the prosecutor told reporters.
The seven convicted men were accused of belonging to Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB), an outlawed group.
In July last year, the Counter-Terrorism and Transnational Crime unit of Dhaka Metropolitan Police submitted a charge sheet against eight suspects from the banned armed group Jama’atul Mujahideen Bangladesh.